Lasers have been used successfully in millions of treatments. When performed properly by a trained physician, these laser treatments are safe and effective. In fact, lasers offer many benefits: little (if any) pain, no incisions or needles, and less bruising and swelling. For laser skin care, Marin County and Sonoma County residents choose Dr. Victor Lacombe, co-author of the comprehensive textbook Lasers in Aesthetic Surgery.
Laser Skin Care Basics
Lasers use an intense beam of light to gently remove unwanted, damaged, or diseased cells without harming the surrounding healthy cells. Dr. Lacombe uses several different lasers at his practice:
- The VersaPulse® Aesthetic Laser has a special chilled tip which cools the skin during treatment and is used for treatment of vascular and pigmented lesions.
- The NLite® system is a laser which uses patented pulse technology to emit a wavelength of yellow laser light. The laser heats collagen deep within the skin, leading to tighter skin with improved tone and texture. It also stimulates collagen production. The improvements will continue and become even more noticeable in the 4 to 6 months following your treatment.
- The Cortex Laser is a combination CO2 and Erbium YAG Laser used to reduce fine lines and wrinkles due to the breakdown of collagen. It can also be used to improve acne scars, sun damage, and skin texture irregularities. Following a treatment, the skin will have smoother, tighter texture and pigmentation problems will begin to diminish.
With these lasers, Dr. Lacombe can treat a variety of conditions, such as:
- Age spots
- Wrinkles and Fine Lines
- Acne Scarring
- Sun Damage
- Skin Texture Flaws
Age Spots and Pigmentation
Age spots are caused by excessive exposure to the sun and eventually most adults get them. Pigmented skin areas are caused by an excess of melanin in certain skin cells. Both of these types of skin marks can be safely, painlessly, and effectively removed with lasers, without unnecessary damage. Removing age spots usually requires 1 or 2 sessions. Pigmented areas may require 1 to 8 visits.
For Santa Rosa patients with acne, Dr. Lacombe uses the NLite laser combined with the prescription Kerastick® (a topical solution). This is a safe, fast, and effective procedure. Clinical studies have shown NLite to be comparable to (and sometimes more effective than) prescription antibiotics. NLite is a painless treatment without any side effects.
Acne Treatment with NLite
First, Dr. Lacombe will apply the Kerastick solution to the problem area. Next, the area is subjected to NLite, a yellow light laser which activates the Kerastick solution. This treatment interacts with a naturally occurring substance in the skin, porphyrin, to create a reaction that releases oxygen. It is this release of oxygen that kills the bacteria present in acne. Treatment also helps to replenish your collagen to help repair the skin damage caused by the acne infection. As a result NLite treatment offers a long-lasting improvement in acne and overall skin texture. The treatment itself is very fast with a full-face area treated in less than 30 minutes.
Results are normally seen within 2 weeks. For mild to moderate acne, a single treatment may be sufficient to provide improvement for several months (and possibly longer). Maintenance treatments may be required, depending on the individual. For severe acne, more treatments may be recommended.
Micro Laser Peel
The Micro Laser Peel uses the Cortex: Erbium laser to improve the following:
- Fine lines & wrinkles
- Age spots & sun damage
- Enlarged pore size
- Overall skin texture
Downtime is generally 3-5 days and you need to avoid sun exposure for 2 weeks following the treatment.
In-Office Laser Resurfacing
In-Office Laser Resurfacing uses the Cortex: Fractional & CO2 laser to dramatically improve:
- Sun-damaged & aging skin
- Skin tone & texture
- Age spots & scars
- Moderate-deep lines & wrinkles
Downtime is generally 7-10 days and you need to avoid sun exposure for 4 weeks following the treatment.
Madonna Eye Lift
The Madonna Eye Lift uses the Erbium: Fractional & CO2 laser to:
- Tighten eyelid skin
- Soften crow’s feet
- Decrease sagging around eyes
Downtime is generally 3-5 days and you need to avoid sun exposure for 2 weeks following the treatment. The Madonna Eye lift is performed by Board-Certified Ophthalmologist Alice Chiang, M.D. at Artemedica.